Experian is part of a group of companies, whose parent company Experian plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange (EXPN). For more information, visit the Experian group’s website on www.experiangroup.com. The Experian group of companies has its corporate headquarters in Dublin, Ireland, and operational headquarters in Nottingham, UK and Costa Mesa, California.
The word "EXPERIAN” and the square and dots graphical device in respect of Experian are trademarks of Experian Limited and/or its associated companies and may be registered in the EU, USA and other countries. The square and dots graphical device is a registered Community design in the EU. All rights reserved.
What information do we process about you?
We will process the following information about you:
- Information you provide when you sign up to use the MSE Credit Club service or when you update the personal details linked to your Credit Club membership. This includes name, address(es), and date of birth (“Registration Information”);
- Information that you provide during your use of the MSE Credit Club service or which you give to MSE and consent for them to pass to us and information that we receive from lenders and brokers and in any correspondence you send to us (“Additional Information”); and
- If you call an Experian call centre for any reason, your call may be recorded for training, audit and quality purposes.
Together the Registration Information and Additional Information shall be referred to as “Information”.
What purposes will we use the Information for?
The primary reason we collect and handle Information is for the services available to Credit Club Members. However, we will also process your Information for the following purposes:-
Registration Information will be used to (a) establish your membership of Credit Club and to verify your identity. We will do this by checking the details you supply to us against details held about you on other existing databases. This process is essential for security reasons. A record of this check will be kept and may be used by other organisations for verification and fraud prevention purposes. If your personal details change during your membership of Credit Club, we will verify your identify again for security purposes. For more information, please see below under “Verification and Identity”; and (b) produce your Experian Credit Score (and if applicable your Experian Credit Report), Eligibility Score, Credit Hit Rate and Affordability Score. For more information see below under “Affordability Service” and “Eligibility Service”.
Your Information may also be used:
Which third parties do we share your Information with and why?
- for administrative, record-keeping and verification purposes;
- to enable us to deal with any requests or enquiries you might have and for customer management purposes;
- to comply with our legal and/or regulatory obligations;
- to prevent and detect fraud, money laundering and other crime (such as identity theft);
- to trace and collect debt;
- to protect ourselves against harm to our rights and property interests;
- for training and monitoring purposes and to improve the quality of the Credit Club services;
- for statistical analysis; and
- to update your Experian Credit Report, which may then be used by Experian to provide credit reports about you to authorised third parties.
We will keep your Information confidential but we may share it with the following third parties (any third parties we share your Information with will be required to keep it secure and confidential):
- MSE in order to provide the Credit Club services;
- Our group companies, our service providers and agents such as data management firms or call centre providers;
- Third parties to comply with our legal and/or regulatory obligations;
- Third parties (including fraud prevention agencies) for the purposes of checking identity, statistical analysis, preventing fraud, tracing and collecting debt, providing verification services and for customer management purposes (but not for marketing purposes unless you consent);
- Brokers, lenders and providers of credit and financial products for purposes that may include:
- verifying your eligibility and suitability for products;
- contacting you regarding credit and financial products for which you are eligible; and
- complying with any contractual, legal and/or regulatory obligations; and
- Credit Reference Agencies (“CRAs). For more information about how CRAs will handle your Information please see below under “The Eligibility Service”)
Lender(s) may also use the Information we provide to them to confirm whether or not you are an existing customer of theirs. This may affect your eligibility for one of their products.
You should be aware that the lenders to whom we provide your Information do not have permission from us to use your Information for any purpose other than to provide an indication of your eligibility for their products.
If you choose to apply for a product, the lender will undertake a full credit check and provide you with the terms and conditions for that product.
The Eligibility Service
As part of this service, you will receive a list of products that you are eligible to apply for. In order to enable us to find the most suitable products for you we may use public information (including electoral role and shared credit performance data) held by us and other CRAs. If you have a financial associate their data may also be provided.
It is important to note that, whilst we will provide you with information about the products which we think are most appropriate for you, there may be other products available from lenders who are not represented by this service.
How will CRAs handle your Information?
When we do a credit search a quotation search footprint will be placed on your Experian Credit Report. A quotation footprint cannot be seen by other lenders.
When we share your Information with another CRA and they complete a credit search this will leave a quotation search footprint on your credit report with them. They will do this regardless of whether or not you decide to apply for the product.
Each time you log into Credit Club a quotation footprint will be left on your credit reports. This is to ensure that you are always presented with the most up to date and valid offers based on the most up to date credit report information. The Credit Hit Rate will also be updated in line with this search.
We will input your Information (including information about your income and expenditure) into our calculator and mimic how lenders may calculate your affordability at the point you apply for credit with them.
Verification of Identity
When we need to verify your identity, you will be directed by MSE to the Experian Identity Checking Service.
A record of this check will be kept and may be used by other organisations for verification and fraud prevention purposes. If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies.
Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example when:
- checking details on applications for credit and credit related or other facilities;
- Managing credit and credit related accounts or facilities;
- Recovering debt;
- Checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance; and
- Checking details of job applicants and employees.
Please contact us at Experian Ltd, PO Box 8000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF if you want to receive details of the fraud prevention agencies.
We and other organisations may access and use from other countries the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies.
At the point of registration a footprint will be left on your credit report, this will be a Credit Report footprint, and is not seen by lenders.
Your Experian Credit Score (if applicable to the service your Experian Credit Report) is updated every 30 days irrespective of the number of times you log into the Credit Club until you unsubscribe from the Credit Club. As a result of this update, a Credit Report footprint will be left on your Credit Report every 30 days following the initial registration, and none of these subsequent footprints will be seen by lenders.
How do we protect your Information?
We take our obligations to treat your Information securely very seriously and restrict access to your Information to those employees and third parties, who need access for the Credit Club services. We also maintain various other physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your Information.
How long do we hold your Information for?
We will hold your Information throughout your membership of the Credit Club; and then for a period of no longer than 7 years following the closure of the account. We need to keep your Information for that period so as to ensure that we can deal with any requests or queries that you might have.
Cookies and similar devices such as web bugs may be used by us to provide you with information from the website. A cookie is an element of data that a website can send to your browser, which may then be stored on your system.
- To hold information linking a user's computer to the process that they are undertaking on the site. This cookie is deleted when the user closes his or her browser. This cookie is necessary for the site to function correctly.
- To hold information about user site preferences. This enables a user to remain logged into the website until their browser is closed and allows for site preferences to be maintained between different browser sessions. This cookie is also necessary for the site to function correctly.
- To collect information about how you interact with the site. This information is used only to make the site more user friendly, convenient and productive to use.
- To help us understand volumes of visitors looking at particular web pages to help us determine how frequently particular pages are visited and to determine the most popular areas of our site.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. You do not have to accept cookies and you should read the information that came with your browser software to see how you can set up your browser to notify you when you receive cookies, this will give you the opportunity to decide whether to accept it. If you chose to disable cookies you may not be able to access certain features of a particular web site.
As a global company, your Information may be transferred to our group companies and third parties who provide services to us (e.g hosting companies). This may include transfers to countries whose data protection laws do not provide the same level of protection as those in the UK. If we do so, we will ensure that an agreement is in place in which anyone to whom we pass your Information agrees to treat it with the same level of protection as if we were dealing with it.
Your rights to access your personal information
You have the right to receive a copy of the Information. We are entitled to charge a fee of up to £10.00, except where you wish to obtain a copy of your statutory credit report, for which the statutory fee is £2.00. Other credit reference agencies will also be able to provide you with a copy of your statutory credit report.